Monday, May 29, 2017

Test Week and Memorial Day


It's test week!!!  But first, Happy Memorial Day.  No matter how you're spending your day, I hope everyone takes the day to remember those who lost their lives serving this country.  It is not lost on me the ultimate sacrifice these particular men and women made for this country.  

So here we are...test week.  One homeschool requirement in NC is that you administer one test per year for each child you homeschool that's compulsory age (7 years old).  Last year was my first year doing it and it was fine, but long.  I'm a former high school counselor so testing is not new to me, but I had forgotten how much of the test is actually read out loud to students at the elementary level.  This year here are some things I've learned/remembered that may help you:

1.  For the test I use (CAT) the complete battery (CB) and the survey (SV) are the same in that the same subjects are tested but they differ in length of each section.  Basically, the survey is 2 hours shorter than the complete battery.  I won't go into our personal choice.  You select what's best for you and your child.
2.  Take the whole week or two depending on what you've selected.  Take your time.  It helps with test fatigue on your child's part and reading fatigue on yours.  I'm not sure why I had forgotten this piece.
3.  Relax.  I had no problem with this last year, but I feel it should be thrown in here so that I don't forget.  The kiddos are learning and progressing and that's all that matters to my husband and I.  This test is a requirement, not a measure of our children's worth.  

Happy testing to week to us!!!  

Toodles!
Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment